England Recipes: Red Leicester and Potato Bake
Red Leicester and Potato Bake
- 675g/1 1/2lb New Potatoes
- 1 teasp Caraway Seeds
- 2 Onions, thinly sliced
- 1 Red Capsicum, (sweet Pepper ) deseeded and sliced
- 250g/9oz tinned Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 Gherkins, sliced
- 225g/8oz Red Leicester, sliced
- 150ml/5fl.oz. Soured Cream
- 2 Egg Yolks
- Salt and Pepper
- Freshly Grated Nutmeg
- 50g/2oz Butter
1. Place the potatoes in a large pan of water together with the caraway seeds. Bring to the boil and cook for 25 minutes.
2. Heat the oil in a pan, add the onions and gently fry for 5 minutes. Add the capsicum and fry for a further 5 minutes then add the tomatoes, gherkins, salt and pepper. Mix well and heat through.
3. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas mark 6 and grease an ovenproof dish. In a bowl, mix together the soured cream, egg yolks, salt, pepper and nutmeg.
4. Drain the potatoes, cool under running water and slice thickly. Place half the potato slices in the dish, cover with half the sliced cheese then add the tomato mixture. Top with the remaining potato slices then the remaining cheese slices.
5. Pour the egg mixture over the top, dot with butter and bake for 20 minutes. Serve Hot.
» England Recipes