England Recipes: Shepherd's Pie
- 450g/1lb Lean Minced Lamb
- (Minced beef can be substituted if preferred)
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 3 Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 Heaped teasp Dried Mixed Herbs
- 3 teasp Worcestershire Sauce
- 150 - 300ml/5 - 10 fl.oz. Stock (depending on taste)
- 450g/1lb Potatoes
- 25g/1oz Butter (optional)
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 50g/2oz Mature Cheddar, grated (optional)
1. Peel the potatoes and cut into chunks. Place in a Large pan of salted water, bring to the boil and cook for 20 minutes or until soft. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas mark 6.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large saucepan and fry the onions until soft and golden. Add the mince and brown then add the chopped tomatoes, mixed herbs, Worcestershire sauce, stock, salt and pepper. Stir well, partly cover and cook for at least 15 minutes. The longer you cook the mince, the more developed the flavour will be.
3. Drain the potatoes and mash well, adding the Butter if using.
4. Place the mince in an ovenproof dish and top with the mashed potato. You will find it easier to place small spoonfuls of potato around the outside first, gradually smoothing these together, then placing more spoonfuls in the centre, again gradually smoothing together.
5. Dot with butter or top with the grated cheese, if using and bake in the centre of the oven for 30 - 40 minutes until golden brown.
» England Recipes