England Recipes: Manchester Tart
- 225g/8oz Puff Pastry
- 3 tbsp Raspberry Jam
- 100g/4oz Fresh White Breadcrumbs
- 300ml/10fl.oz. Milk
- 25g/1oz Butter, melted
- 25g/1oz Caster Sugar
- 2 Eggs, separated
- 100g/4oz Icing Sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 200C, 400F, Gas Mark 6
2. Roll out the pastry on a lightly floured surface and use it to line a 20cm/10-inch, deep flan dish.
3. Spread the jam over the pastry.
4. Place the breadcrumbs, butter, caster sugar and egg yolks in a large mixing bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon.
5. Pour the mixture over the jam and bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
6. Meanwhile, in a clean mixing bowl, whisk the egg whites until stiff, then gradually whisk in the icing sugar.
7. Remove the tart from the oven and reduce the temperature to 140C, 275F, Gas Mark 1.
8. Spread the meringue mixture evenly over the top of the tart. Return to the oven and cook for a further 30 minutes until the meringue turns a light golden brown. Serve warm.
» England Recipes