England Recipes: Green Bean and Celeriac Gratin
Green Bean and Celeriac Gratin
- 1 Celeriac, peeled and cut into 12mm/1/2-inch cubes
- 2 Garlic Cloves, crushed
- Salt and Pepper
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 1 tbsp Plain Flour
- 120ml/4fl.oz. Chicken Stock
- 240ml/8fl.oz. Double Cream
- 450g/1lb Green Beans, cut into 2.5cm/1-inch lengths
- 50g/2oz Cheddar Cheese, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 180C, 350F, Gas Mark 4 and lightly oil a large gratin dish.
2. Heat the butter in a large saucepan, add the celeriac and garlic and sauté for 5 minutes until lightly-browned on all sides.
3. Sprinkle in the flour and cook 1 minute, stirring.
4. Add the stock, bring to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes.
5. Stir in the cream and simmer for a further 15 minutes.
6. Place the beans in a large saucepan, cover with salted water, bring to the boil then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat, drain well and add to the celeriac mixture, mixing well.
7. Pour the bean mixture into the gratin dish, top with the cheese and bake for about 20 minutes. Serve immediately.
» England Recipes