England Recipes: Beef Wellington
- 675g/1-1/2lb Fillet of Beef (in one piece)
- Black Pepper
- 1 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 25g/1oz Butter
- 175g/6oz Mushrooms
- 100g/4oz Smooth Liver Pate
- 300g/11oz Puff Pastry
- Beaten Egg to glaze
1. Preheat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas mark 7. Tie the fillet with string at intervals to ensure it keeps its shape during cooking and season well with freshly ground Black Pepper.
2. Melt the butter and oil in a frying pan until very hot, add the beef and seal well on all sides.
3. Transfer to a roasting pan and bake in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool.
4. Slice the mushrooms thinly. Reheat the oil and butter in the frying pan, add the mushrooms and sauté gently until soft. Set aside to cool.
5. Re-heat the oven to 220C, 425F, Gas mark 7. On a floured surface, roll the pastry out to an oblong large enough to enclose the joint of meat.
6. Once cool, in a small bowl mix together the mushrooms and pate until well blended.
7. Spread the mushroom mixture down the centre of the pastry, lay the meat on top. Brush the edges with a little beaten egg then pull up the long edges to overlap at the top: press down to seal.
8. Fold up the short ends of the pastry making a parcel, cutting off any excess pastry.
9. Use the pastry trimmings to decorate the top, brush with beaten egg and bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes. Allow to rest for 10 minutes before carving into 4 thick slices.
» England Recipes